Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Detroit Tigers Win 2008 World Series

In this article, Michael Rosenberg discusses one of the major assets that will be attributing to the victorious team of the 2008 World Series. The team? The Detroit Tigers. The player? Miguel Cabrera. He comes in the form of an exceptional third baseman, and is one of the best hitters in baseball. Even prior to the start of the 2008 season, Rosenburg refers to him as “the best pure hitter on this team”. What Cabrera has accomplished only resembles that of current Hall of Famers, including Hank Aaron, Ken Griffey Jr., and Frank Robinson. After viewing Cabrera’s stats, its can undoubtedly be said that he will only heighten the Tigers’ past two years of dominance over the rest of Major League Baseball.

I am proud to say that I have been a Tigers fan since before 2006. I also am proud to say that I have complete faith in my Tigers for the upcoming season. After hearing the results of the recent trades that have taken place, I made up my mind that we had basically already won the World Series. Not only are the Tigers picking up the great Miguel Cabrera, but they have also gained Edgar Renteria and Dontrelle Willis. The addition of an astounding pitcher will hopefully reduce Todd Jones’ chances of entering gameplay often. Also, the removal of Maybin from the team has eliminated any possibilities for the spot of my personal favorite, the most amazing Curtis Granderson, to be occupied. As stated by Rosenburg, with the “only lineup in baseball that might make the Yankees jealous”, the Tigers are pretty much guaranteed to having successful season.

This article is pretty straightforward, but it could be slightly altered to target an audience besides baseball fans. If I were writing to a group of fourth grade students, I might take out some of the specific details. Keeping it simply at “he is one of the best hitters in baseball” would seem to cover the main point when addressing it to fourth graders. I would not include facts such as “Cabrera has contended for a batting title, finished in the top five in his league in on-base percentage and pounded 50 doubles in a season”. Also, I would further clarify how closely Cabrera’s stats resemble previous players that are now in the Hall of Fame. This will help to give a fourth grader an idea of the talent of Cabrera. Last, I would include more information about players that were chosen to be interviewed about Cabrera. I would mention a few of their own accomplishments in baseball. If a fourth grade classroom understood that other great baseball players are speaking so highly of Miguel, they would have a better chance of understanding how significant this trade is going to be for the Tigers.

No comments: